Our team are both very friendly and patient and will go the extra mile to make your visit a relaxed and positive experience. We will take time to listen to your concerns and explain everything involved with your treatment. Whether you suffer from slight anxiety or debilitating phobia, you can be sure we will spend as much time as necessary to ensure that your treatment is gentle and pain free. Please feel free to pop in for a chat, view the practice and meet our team before making an appointment.
For those patients who require more than reassurance and a calming atmosphere we can offer intravenous sedation which will relax you and reduce anxiety before any treatment.
What is intravenous sedation?
Intravenous sedation is safe and effective and given by an injection either in your arm or the back of your hand. It is not the same as a general anaesthetic as you remain conscious at all times, although many people afterwards do not remember anything about their treatment.
You might want to consider sedation if you:
- Have moderate to severe dental anxiety or phobia
- Have an enhanced gag or swallow reflex
- You are not anxious but need to undergo complex procedures such as surgical tooth extraction, implant placement or lengthy procedures
- Have had local anaesthetic injections which have failed in the past
- Have mild medical conditions that may be aggravated by the stress of dental treatment, for example asthma or mild hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Have Cerebral Palsy / Parkinson’s disease which causes consistent movement or shaking
- Have a mild learning difficulty or physical disability
As you will not be able to drive, you will need to arrange for a partner or friend to come with you and they should stay with you for 24 hours after your treatment.
Conscious sedation is available for private treatment only. We will happily take referrals from other dentists who do not offer conscious sedation. However, you are also able to book a consultation and examination directly with us.
Please click here to download our conscious sedation referral form
To find out more about conscious sedation, or to book an appointment at Sharrow Vale Dental Care, call 0114 2686076, email email@example.com or send us a message using our online contact form.